|Great Bollywood Actors Amitabh Bachchan and Arjun Rampal who developed their voice beyond imagination|
This happened long back at the beginning of my career as an acting coach. The day taught me a lesson which I don’t think I will ever forget. I now make a point in my training lessons to devote sufficient time to voice development
Voice is God Gifted, yes, it's true and a fact, but it can be trained, this also a fact. Nobody is a born singer or narrator or voice artiste, yes, he/she may have a sweet, melodious voice of birth, but still his/her voice needs to be trained enough to modulate, varied and able to perform professionally for required time
Do you have a thin, shrill, faint, low or muffled voice? Do you mix words or speak too fast?
Here are exercises which will do wonders to your voice.
Like what a singer does every morning called "Riyaaz" (practice) you should do these exercises every morning or evening before dinner.
3. Make loud funny sounds shaking your head
4. Yawn repeatedly making a sound
7. You can take "
8. Breathing: Inhale deeply, hold the breath and exhale very slowly (10 times). If possible, try to do this lying on a bed before sleep, keeping a book on your belly.
Volume improvement exercises
9. Breathing: Inhale deeply, hold the breath and exhale very slowly (10 times) making a “hissing” sound. If possible, try to do this lying on a bed before sleep, keeping a book on your belly.
10. Say or sing-
“Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Nee Sa”
11. Make Cracky door opening sound. Pitch differently
12. You should everyday practice at least one full length script with proper Hindi diction, pronunciation, modulation (as & when). If you do not have the stamina you may lose your voice in a long script. Your voice may be bold, enthusiastic, and fresh in the first quarter of the script and may get tired or becomes low in the end. This is called the stamina of Voice, and it must remain uniform in quality (one) till the end.
13. Watch and listen carefully Hindi news with high volume on TV channels. Speak along with news anchor. Practice at least for 30 minutes, with different anchors.
14. Listen to carefully voice artists (background voices) in different commercial ads on TV. Speak along with them
15. Watch and listen carefully Hindi news with high volume on TV channels. Speak along with news anchor. Practice at least for 30 minutes, with different anchors.
15. Listen to carefully voice artists (background voices) in different commercial ads on TV. Speak along with them
Yoga plays a very important role in improving voice quality
16. One Yoga asana which is the most effective is “Ujjayi Pranayama“
|Ujjayi Pranayama for voice improvements|
It's very simple to practice:
- Sir in a comfortable position on a mat on a floor, preferably legs crossed
- Breath in and out in while contracting your throat, which will produce a sort of hissing sound in a rhythmic fashion
- However, while breathing do not extra strain to contract your throat
- Continue for 15 minutes
. A very effective way to exercise your throat.
- Stay away from alcohol and smoking, very cold ice creams, beverages, aerated waters, chocolates or pickles, chilies and anything very sour.
- If you eat occasionally do try to clear your throat and brush your teeth before sleeping.
- Gargle your throat with salted warm water. This is a must for an actor
- Do not shout that make your vocal chords vibrate so harshly that can be damaged.